Love & Gelato by Jenna Evans Welch | A book review
Hey guys! I hope everyone is doing okay and staying safe.
I am so behind on writing my reviews, that I figure I could just review the last book I read first. I absolutely loved this book and in times like this, doesn’t everyone need a great, lovely book to forget the world?
As you probably guessed by the title, I’m reviewing Love & Gelato today. Here’s the synopsis from Goodreads to get you up to speed:
Lina is spending the summer in Tuscany, but she isn’t in the mood for Italy’s famous sunshine and fairy-tale landscape. She’s only there because it was her mother’s dying wish that she get to know her father. But what kind of father isn’t around for sixteen years? All Lina wants to do is get back home.
But then she is given a journal that her mom had kept when she lived in Italy. Suddenly Lina’s uncovering a magical world of secret romances, art, and hidden bakeries. A world that inspires Lina, along with the ever-so-charming Ren, to follow in her mother’s footsteps and unearth a secret that has been kept for far too long. It’s a secret that will change everything she knew about her mother, her father—and even herself.
My thoughts on Love & Gelato
This is the first book in a while that gave me a solid book hangover. It was just such a great read; cute, deep and with great characters. So (not so) spoiler alert: I gave it the highest rating possible. And then I found out there are more books in this series and freaked out. Unfortunately, it’s not about Lina and Howard and Ren, so that’s a bummer.
The actual review
- The setting is to die for! It’s set in Italy, close to Florence and having been to Florence, I could easily escape while reading the book to this magical city. And honestly, it’s probably because the world has a situation right now that I needed that more than I knew. Which made me love the book more.
- The plot is both heart breaking and so adorable. Lina loses her mom, but gets send to Italy and meets her future classmates. Insert cute boys and bitchy girls. There’s a bit of a love triangle going on, two I guess, and I wasn’t sure who to root for in the beginning, because it was both cute.
- I LOVED the characters!! Lina is a great main character, Howard is a very lovable guy which whom Lina has to live with eventhough she doesn’t know him (cue awkwardness). Ren is a cute guy she meets on one of her runs and you immediately root for them. Then the classmates that are all gorgeous, Italian and VERY interested in Lina. It’s a very lovely bunch and I just aaargh…
- The story isn’t so bad either. As in, it’s amazing. Reading her mother’s journal and following her footsteps in Florence, all the while trying to figure out which boy she likes most and having very awkward moments with Howard.
- Did I take on Italian on Duolingo because of this book? Yes. Yes I did.
Have you read Love & Gelato? What did you think? What book would you recommend me to read next?