My 14 (and then some) favorite book quotes
Books are a big part of my life. I love drifting off to other worlds, instead of being in the real one (not that my world isn’t great or anything). When I got my e-reader, the amount of books I read every year went up a lot. I now plan to read 35 books this year, which is quite a challenge.
When reading so many books, you get to read quite a lot of beautiful quotes. As John Green said: “Maybe our favorite quotations say more about us than about the stories and people we’re quoting.” My favorites are mostly about love, since I mostly read those kind of books. Let’s list them:
- “I fell in love the way you fall asleep: slowly, and then all at once.” – John Green, The Fault in Our Stars
- “You don’t get to choose if you get hurt in this world…but you do have some say in who hurts you.” – John Green, The Fault in Our Stars
- “Just when you think it can’t get any worse, it can. And just when you think it can’t get any better, it can.” – Nicholas Sparks, At First Sight
- “You can’t live your life for other people. You’ve got to do what’s right for you, even if it hurts some people you love.” – Nicholas Sparks, The Notebook
- “You know, when it works, love is pretty amazing. It’s not overrated. There’s a reason for all those songs.” – Sarah Dessen, This Lullaby
- “It’s a lot easier to be lost than found. It’s the reason we’re always searching and rarely discovered–so many locks not enough keys.” – Sarah Dessen, Lock and Key
- “You should never be surprised when someone treats you with respect, you should expect it.” – Sarah Dessen, Keeping the Moon
- “So many things become beautiful when you really look.” – Lauren Oliver, Before I Fall
- “I guess that’s just part of loving people: You have to give things up. Sometimes you even have to give them up.” – Lauren Oliver, Delirium
- “There’s no such thing as ruining your life. Life’s a pretty resilient thing, it turns out.” – Sophie Kinsella, The Undomestic Godess
- “What you need, what you deserve, is a guy who adores you for what you are. Who doesn’t see you as a project, but a prize.” – Sarah Dessen, The Truth about Forever
- “Moments, when lost, can’t be found again. They’re just gone.” – Jenny Han, The Summer I Turned Pretty
- “Shoulda, coulda, woulda. It’s so easy in the past tense. ” – Sarah Dessen, The Truth About Forever
- “The fate of your heart is your choice and no one else gets a vote” – Sarah Dessen, This Lullaby
- “The scariest thing about distance is that you don’t know whether they’ll miss you or forget you.” – Nicholas Sparks, The Notebook
- “It’s the imperfections that make things beautiful” – Jenny Han, The Summer I Turned Pretty
- “We can’t expect everybody to be there for us, all at once. So it’s a lucky thing that really, all you need is someone. ” – Sarah Dessen, Lock and Key
- “The best discoveries always happened to the people who weren’t looking for them.” – Morgan Matson, Amy & Roger’s Epic Detour
And with that, I stop this probably never-ending list. There are so many great quotes. 14 wasn’t enough. 18 isn’t enough either. But I have to stop somewhere.
What is your favorite book quote?